We have an active Youth Services team in the club which seeks to support Reading`s youth, especially the disadvantaged, through several projects.
- Life Education: 6000 pupils in Reading Schools have benefited from our support to take part in this project.
- Dictionaries: Primary School leavers in 13 local schools are presented with an Usborne Dictionary at the end of the school year. These are paid for by the club. We are hoping to increase this to 15 schools this year
- RYLA: The Rotary Youth Leadership Award scheme is to develop leadership skills for those aged 18 to 25. The course takes place in the Snowdonia National Park in North Wales and is for a full week, starting on a Saturday (in July) with candidates return the following Saturday. This is organised for the District by one of our club members. More details for members here>
Students at the Vocational Training Centre in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The center teaches bakery skills and is supported by a grant from The Rotary Foundation.
- Brian Middleton Award: This is run by one of our committee members, for Rotary District 1090.It pays for a disabled youngster, with their carer if necessary, to go on an activity holiday at the Calvert Trust in Devon, each year. We have also sent our own candidate for several years.
- Reading Girls` School: We are currently funding three `Endeavour Awards` to be given to three deserving pupils each year. We have also financially supported their entry to the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme, for the last two years.
- Mock interviews: We have helped to provide these in several local secondary schools.
- Reading: A few of our members regularly help with reading in local Primary schools.
- Shoeboxes: These boxes are filled with gifts for children and older people and sent abroad, mostly to Eastern European countries. This part of a national Rotary scheme.
- Reading Cygnets: We support local youth organisations via club funding. This year, among others, we supported Reading Cygnets, which is a local swimming club for disabled swimmers, with funding towards their annual national swimming gala. Two of our members attended the 2015 gala to present the prizes.
- Raised gardening beds: 2016 we offered local schools help with installing raised beds for gardening.